Enjoy the Olympic games while also learning all about them! Get this FREE printable set of activities and learning resources to use while watching the world come together to compete and participate. Students will practice multiple skills and learn a little about the history of the Olympics in the process.
With 16 pages of information and fun it’s a great resource for home, classroom, or homeschooling.
Intended use is with kindergarten through 2nd grade aged students but can be adapted, especially with help, for younger children.
All resources are timeless and can be used during future summer games. No mention of current host city or time-sensitive information is shared.
Olympic Learning Activities Pack Objectives and skills
- Understands basic directions & differentiates between left and right.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and problem solving, even in mild to moderately abstract contexts.
- Understands and interprets symbolic language such as signs, objects, actions, and pictures to represent something else.
- Uses basic observation skills to analyze objects.
- Makes controlled linear motions with a writing utensil
- Applies understanding of opposites.
- Acknowledges letter sounds and applies knowledge to form the correct word.
- Recognizes even “atypical” shapes such as upside-down, obtuse triangles, etc. and can apply them to pictures in context.
- Can identify differences between two similar pictures.
- Graphs similarities and differences on a Venn Diagram.
- Studies maps and continents and understands their relative location.
- Demonstrates listening skills and comprehension and can answer questions after being read a story.
- Describes simple functions and basic parts of the body.
- Measures with a ruler and stop watch.
- Obtains a basic concept of time.
- Shows an understanding between written numbers and their quantities.
- Compares heaviest, longest, shortest, etc..
- Understands sequential order.
- Recognizes the rules associated with playing games.
- … And more depending on if you use the extension activity recommendations!
What supplies you’ll need to complete the Olympics Unit
- Laminator (optional)
- Crayons and/or colored pencils
- Pencil or other writing utensil
Approximate time frame to complete: One to two weeks.
Kara is an author and advocate for positive, grace-filled parenting. She is homeschooler to her 4 children living in Boston, MA and believes in creative educational approaches to help kids dive deeper into a rich learning experience. She has her degree in Secondary Education & Adolescent Childhood Development and is passionate about connecting with and helping other parents on their journey to raise awesome kids!