Have your 3-7 year old learn all about pets and lovable animals with this activity pack for your pet thematic unit study. It’s a hands-on printable pack that requires cutting out shapes and pictures in order to make interactive and meaningful learning experiences.
Activity packs are customizable based on age and ability to both extend the activity or make it more manageable for younger children. For instance, the “Give a dog a bone” letter matching activity is appropriate for preschoolers learning letters by leaving the matching letters together and pairing the dog (sound) with the bone. However, variations include multiple parts and even consonant blends for older or more advanced children.
Pet Unit Theme for Early Childhood Learning
While focusing on pets and other domesticated animals, students will learn about multiple concepts from other subject areas. These topics include numbers, addition, subtraction, letter identification and sounds, matching, understanding the concepts of shelter and life, geometric manipulation, and more.
Learning objectives and skills
- Can differentiate between pets and undomesticated animals.
- Understands basic directions & differentiates between left and right.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and problem solving, even in mild to moderately abstract contexts.
- Understands and interprets symbolic language such as signs, objects, actions, and pictures to represent something else.
- Uses basic observation skills to analyze objects.
- Makes controlled linear motions with a writing utensil
- Analyzes why animals live where they do
- Recognizes and matches upper and lower case letters..
- Understands basic needs and life processes of animals.
- Recognizes multiple ways of writing and sharing numerical values such as through dots, Arabic numbers, roman numerals, etc..
- Recognizes even “atypical” shapes such as upside-down, obtuse triangles, etc.
- Can show a connection between written numbers and their quantities.
- … And more depending on if you use the extension activity recommendations!
Theme’s intended use:
This theme pack is in correlation with our learning theme week three plan. You can get the planner bundle and also find even more great resources on the Weekly Learning Themes landing page.
It can be used in both individual and classroom settings, however distribution of printable materials is not allowed.
Kara is an author and advocate for positive, grace-filled parenting. She is homeschooler to her 4 children living in Boston, MA and believes in creative educational approaches to help kids dive deeper into a rich learning experience. She has her degree in Secondary Education & Adolescent Childhood Development and is passionate about connecting with and helping other parents on their journey to raise awesome kids!