Kids are sponges. They soak in every little word and details of their lives.
Whether tot schooling, doing preschool themes or you’re looking for weekly learning theme for kindergarten through 1st or 2nd grade, we have you covered to make sure that even in simple learning activities, book lists, and hands-on fun, kids are learning all about a variety of topics through exciting unit study ideas for ages toddler through 2nd grade.
In late 2013, I ambitiously decided I would start tot schooling daily. It’s morphed into a life-long learning challenge with our kids as we do learn daily whether it’s intensive or not.
About our weekly learning themes
- Over the years we have compiled books, activities, printables and more surrounding specific themes to help inspire you and get you started.
- I will try to include at least one book for each theme and link to it via Amazon so that you have some great book recommendations to build a theme library. This is important to me as it creates an extensive home library.
- While the majority of the material is secular, several themes will have posts that include Bible verse of the week that correlates in some way to the theme. We share because this is what we do, but like the rest of the curriculum, what you choose to include and what to omit is up to you and shaping it to adapt to your needs is perfect. The printables are completely secular in nature unless otherwise indicated.
- We will also have ideas for themed busy bags many weeks.
- If you have any great ideas, send them to me!
- We will be trying to explore local museums and places that facilitate our learning. I encourage you to do the same! It’s always great to see what your town and region has to offer, plus it’s also wonderful to support local when you can.
Important Tot School Resources & Supply Lists
Pre-K through 2nd Grade Resources
- Learning themes planner bundle
- Preschool Learning Objectives Printable
- Comprehensive Weekly Learning Theme Planner w/ daily planning sections (4 pages)
Adapt as needed to make it age appropriate. I will try to indicate What age group it was originally created for, but all theme can be adapted for tot through early elementary level kids. They are inalphabetical order or you can use your “find” function by hitting control F on your keyboard to locate a specific topic.
(T – Tot, P – Preschool, K – Kindergarten, 1- 1st Grade, 2 – 2nd Grade)
Unit Study ideas, Printables, and Resources
- Earth Day Book List (T,P,K, 1, 2)
- Jungle & Safari (T,P)
- Kitchen & Food (T,P)
- Nature & Bugs (T,P)
- Ocean & Bodies of Water (T,P)
Printables you’ll love!
- Scent & Smell (T,P)
- Seeds & Plants (T,P)
- Shapes (T,P)
- Snowy Days Book List (T,P,K, 1, 2)
- Spring Season (T,P)
- Suction (T, P, K, 1, 2)
- Summer (T,P)
Get my free homeschooling mini series!
Includes encouragement, 6 printable pages in PDF form, and 3 helpful classes to both help and encourage you on your homeschooling journey.