The trouble with overpraising children
Extremely Good Parenting Podcast Ep. 014 Show Notes
Val is the owner and Editor of Bon Bon Break. We have a candid discussion about praising our kids, teaching them consequences, and helping prepare them for the real world by not sugar coating it.
- 2:00 Val’s Live discussion on NurtureShock
- 2:12 Check out NurtureShock the Book
- 5:23 Kids at the top of the chart struggle with a challenge they can’t complete immediately.
- 6:25 Kara tells her story of her mentor teacher’s first day of school speech, “You are not special” and also teaching that “failure is not fatal”
- 9:31 it takes failure in between to get to a win
- 9:50 A Great list of alternatives to “good job”
- 13:01 “We’re not kidding them! They’re smart”
- 13:20 Parents are (unfortunately) removing naturally occurring failure
- 13:45 Val: “Respect, admiration, and appreciation for others is an important part of being a community member. Everyone has a different gift to offer”
- 17:40 For every behavior you’re trying to teach, it takes a week for every year you didn’t enforce it before
- 18:02 You’re Grounded & Now it’s Going to Sting
- 29:10 Washington Post Article on how Parents Create Narcissistic Children and why it’s bad
- Love & Logic the Book
- 66 Positive things to say to your kids
- 42:30 How Val refills her parenting cup
- 43:37 Val’s fail story about how she thought her son would love the same things as her daughter and terrified her son! (But the redeeming story at the end)
- 46:06 What makes Val a good parent is that she expects her kids to fail and she sees it as an opportunity
How do you boost your child’s self-confidence and self-esteem?
Kara is an author and advocate for positive, grace-filled parenting. She is homeschooler to her 4 children living in Boston, MA and believes in creative educational approaches to help kids dive deeper into a rich learning experience. She has her degree in Secondary Education & Adolescent Childhood Development and is passionate about connecting with and helping other parents on their journey to raise awesome kids!