Gardening not only is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint, but there are some many ways to recycle and reuse in preparation for planting. One of my favorite ways is to make plastic upcycle seed starters.
And with so much plastic used now, there are countless ideas, but I have collected a few of the best to help you get your little seedlings sprouted.
Upcycle Seed Starters made from Plastic
*All ideas with asterisks are pictured.
- Don’t toss those disposable foil pans with plastic covers. Use them to house your seed starters like Driftwood Gardens.
- Several years ago I started using K-Cups from my husband’s work as seed starters and finding other ways to find more sustainable seed starting ideas. Since that post is long gone, you can see how Reuse Grow Enjoy gives K-cups a second life by using them as seed starters too!*
- Plastic strawberry containers make awesome seed starter planters. [Mom Trusted]
- Those plastic rotisserie chicken containers are perfect for growing seedlings. [Read Between the Limes]
- Keeping Kids Busy uses plastic cups in her tutorial How to Plant an Indoor Herb Garden with Your Child.
- Maiko Nagao’s DIY: Upcycled plastic bottle herb planter, is a great way to teach children about science while starting their own herb garden.*
- Make these easy DIY greenhouses, from A Piece of Rainbow, to give your seeds a warm and comfortable start.*
- Plastic storage containers can be re-purposed into composting bins with Queen Bee Coupon’s tutorial.
- The Prairie Cottage uses clear plastic storage containers for mini portable greenhouses.*
Find more ways to upcycle your plastic in our Earth Month Upcycle Challenge
Using Plastic Containers for Seed Starters from Kara Carrero
Plastic Masks from Milk Jugs from Crafty Mama in ME
How to Make this Fantastic Plastic Bottle Terrarium from Witty Hoots
How to Build a Juice Jug Greenhouse from Nemcsok Farms
Upcycled Plastic Suncatchers from Books & Giggles
Kara is an author, wife, and mother of 3 children living in Boston, MA. She has her degree in Secondary Education & Adolescent Childhood Development and is passionate about connecting with and even helping other parents on their journey to raise awesome kids!