For the past four years, we have had dogs in the house for the first time in my life and then the past two I have had a child running around. This typically means that our house can sometimes have some funky smells and heaven forbid the dogs bring in flea, we sometimes have a few uninvited guests. Instead of spending a lot of money on carpet sprinkle, I have been making my own homemade carpet deodorizer and bug deterrent. It’s so easy and it’s really effective!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
What you need to make your own inexpensive carpet sprinkle
It definitely doesn’t take much to make and it is most definitely a pet-friendly and kid-safe option if you are looking for natural and non toxic ways to freshen your house and deodorize your carpet. (Maybe even in your car too!)
- Find a Shaker container. I personally have one that is from an old bullet blender that broke and it works SO well and is the perfect size. However, you can upcycle a Parmesan cheese container or even have a smaller one from spice containers (this is great too if your kids wants to help!)
- 2 cups Baking Soda – Divide this into two parts. Half and half is fine. Even alone, Baking Soda is going to help absorb moisture and eliminate odors. I love buying the big boxes of it to always have a lot on hand for every little cleaning job.
- 1-2 Tablespoons Borax OR food grade Diatomaceous Earth – This is going to be what is going to help ward off any unwanted critters and visitors. Both are very effective and both are safe. Just use one or the other and decide what you feel most comfortable using. Borax is non-toxic in small quantities (even sprinkled straight onto a dog bed it’s safe), but food grade DE, obviously is another great choice, especially if you have kids crawling around!
- 10 drops of your favorite essential oil. I personally love using Purification because it has a nice fresh smell and the name even suggests exactly what I want from using it to clean my carpet. Plus, this essential oil has tea tree oil in it, which also can help with spiders, mites, and other critters but is not as overwhelming as TTO itself and has a nice fresh finish. I have also used Peppermint essential oil, TTO, and citrus blends before. Completely up to you though!
How to make non-toxic, kid and pet safe carpet freshener
1. Making sure that your container is dry and clean, pour in the first half of your baking soda.
2. Add your Borax or DE and then also add your drops of essential oil(s). You want to make sure that you always add the oils in the middle of the recipe because it’s easier to mix up and use.
3. Top off the container with the rest of your baking soda.
4. Depending on your conister, you can spire with a spoon or butter knife or just put a lid on and shake it vigorously.
5. Sprinkle anywhere there is a soft surface! You can even use this as a furniture deodorizer in place of sprays and such. I have done this several times and it’s worked very well.
6. Let sit for a minimum of 15 minutes (I sometimes even sprinkle it at night and leave it to vacuum the next morning.) It just depends on your time frame and level of stink 😉
7. Vacuum it up!
Find more Helpful posts below
Kara is an author and advocate for positive, grace-filled parenting. She is homeschooler to her 5 children living on a farm in New England. She believes in creative educational approaches to help kids dive deeper into a rich learning experience and has her degree in Secondary Education & Adolescent Childhood Development. She is passionate about connecting with and helping other parents on their journey to raise awesome kids!
WELL… I DONT CARE IF ITS POSSIBLE BUT I WAS SO COURIOUS SO DECIDED TO USE IT AS AN DEODORIZER IN OUR CAR THEN ITS SO ……. I WAS SUPRIZED….. LATER ON THIS EXPERIMENT GIVES ME INSPIRATION TO MAKE THINGS WITH YOUR CREATIVENESS ….. SO I DECIDED TO RECOMMEND THIS TO OUR NEIGHBORS AND TO OUR FAMILY ….. AND IT WAS GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks I will try this!