My name is Kara. I am a wife to my wonderful and supportive husband Chris (2010) and mother to an energetic, opinionated little girl “Jenn” (2012) and sweet, emotionally intelligent second daughter “Emma” (2014) and our son “Rhett” (2016). We live in the wonderful and vibrant Boston.
Before having kids, I was a high school teacher and worked closely with pre-teens and teens for many years both in the school system and the community and it’s when I first became passionate about parenting.
In early pregnancy and the first couple of ears of having kids, I became an advocate for natural birth & parenting, breastfeeding, and similar in my community. I was the organizer and host of the first ever Big Latch On OKC, an active member and mentor in Milk Moms, and an organizer and event planner for the Great Cloth Diaper Change for 3 years.
I am passionate about parenting and raising kids! I believe that extremely good parents are made from lots of mistakes, but are people that are willing to learn from those incidents. And that was the inspiration for my podcast, Extremely Good Parenting.
Fun facts about the Carrero Family
- We moved from OKC to Boston in the Spring of 2015 having never been to New England before stepping off the plane.
- My degree is in secondary education with an emphasis in research and adolescent child development.
- We have a St. Bernard/Something stubborn mix (probably Aussie) named Samson.
- I forget that my parenting styles and preferences aren’t mainstream. So when our girls see toys with batteries and clothes with a bunch of characters and words on them, they are completely mesmerized.
- My husband and I met at a Bible study in college that I was hosting at my house. I made cookies to take to his soccer game the next week and still get blamed for him losing his keys that night, but I am just thinking it was an act of God.
- After living in 400 square feet with 2 kids and a dog for 2 months, I feel like we need to be perpetually downsizing.
- I have a deep love for all things 1940s and Rome… just not Rome in the 1940s.
- Blogging has provided me with the amazing opportunity to work from home while never missing out on my kids’ lives, replace my income, and do what I love in life… which is helping people. Either through my writing or consulting to help them reach their own audiences.
- We love making deep, meaningful connections and relationships in life and my husband can literally talk to anyone for hours.
- I am an INFJ personality type, so if you email me, just keep that in mind 😉
This blog is a tale of our lives and an authentic look into who we are and what we love. I love sharing both my struggles and my victories as a mother, because without reality of day-to-day life, my blog wouldn’t be worth reading.
After cycling through 3 or 4 blogs, I finally decided to settle on just blogging under my name and welcome you into my virtual home and take a peek at our lives and lifestyle.
- I am passionate about supporting mothers in their season of life parents in their journey to raise independent and well-rounded kids, and in connecting with others, creating meaningful relationships.
- I am a firm believer in intentional parenting and its application as a one-size-fits-all parenting method.
- And I am an advocate for natural motherhood (birth & breastfeeding), helping people both virtually and in real life achieve their birth and breastfeeding goals.
As Christians, faith is an important part of who we are. It is ever-present in our daily lives and our parenting. We strive to live by the spirit and to respect the world that God created. We are passionate about local and embrace a low-impact and eco-friendly lifestyle. While both are part of who we are, my community of readers are from different backgrounds, faiths, and convictions so I hope you will find yourself welcome here!